Thursday, March 25, 2010

First Game of the Season - Did we win?

No. We did not.

It's the first game of the 2010 Spring-Summer season, and the first time for me to be a captain in a few years... and I failed!

Everything was going along fine. We won our first game by a few points and lost our second by one stinking point! It was a roller coaster from there. We won every other game. But so did they! We managed to take the VFW Flyers all the way to the seventh game where we lost only by a handful of points. Most of our games were pretty close with the exception of only a couple. All in all I'd say it was a good first match.

While sitting in front of my computer, I can't recall the specifics of the smack talking that goes on in any give game. The first game of the season has totally jogged my memory. There were lots of "Thank yous" being thrown around when the wrong color puck was bumped up or when one of our own was knocked off by us. Both team's peanut galleries were there to pipe in with tons of useful tips for "helping" the opposing team. "Voodoo" was being cast several times during our game, mostly by me. I'm working on coming up with a new voodoo spell because I only have about a 50% success rate. When I do, watch out!

"Powder" is what we used to call my Mom. Her hands would be totally white with chalk and tonight her arm kept sticking to the top of the cradle so she had to put chalk up to her elbow. It's the most chalk-covered I've ever seen her. When she would high five you a cloud of chalk dust surrounded her. By the end of the night her shirt was covered with chalk spots. But all the chalk in the world couldn't help us. The Flyers were too much for us. So we're tied for 4th place with four other teams. Hopefully now that we've gotten that loss out of our system we won't be doing that anymore.

I had forgotten how much responsibility I feel as captain when we lose. I know I didn't lose all seven games, but in a way I feel I did. If I could have just partnered people a little better, played better myself, maybe we'd be tied for 1st place with four other teams.

But I didn't. And we're not. Now, where's my pain-go-bye-bye juice?

Quote of the night: "Don't hate the player, hate the game." - Lexie

Record:
0-1

Next Opponent - Cozy Corner I

Go BarFlies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails