Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Shuffleboard isn't just for the retired anymore!


What is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word "shuffleboard?"

Cruise ships? Retirement homes?

A shuffleboard game being prepared, with shove...Image via Wikipedia


I think of small, usually dark, neighborhood watering holes where really old country music is playing on the jukebox. No, this isn't your grandpa's shuffleboard. Then again, maybe it is.



Table shuffleboard could quite possibly be the perfect game for anyone over the age of 21. It's played in a bar and some players think beer actually helps them play (myself included). Do you have bad knees? No problem! Can't see? It's over-rated anyway. Alcoholic? We play in a bar! Well, that last one could be a problem. Anyone can play shuffleboard! Just pick up a puck, slide it down the table and hope for a hanger (worth 4 points!)



Table shuffleboardImage by Kodamakitty via Flickr
My shuffleboard league plays on Wednesday night (you mean I HAVE to go to the bar in the middle of the week?! Sign me up!), which makes for a fun Thursday morning when you have to go all seven games. I think it was started on Wednesday because that was the slowest day for the local hole-in-the-walls and since change is scary that's the way its been for awhile.

One of my favorite parts of shuffleboard is screaming at my pucks. It makes me sound crazy I know but I think it helps. When I shoot a crappy shot I blame it on the fact that I forgot to yell at it. It couldn't possibly be just my fault. "Put some panties on it", "Swim Bitch!" and "Drive By!" are just a few of the disturbing expressions you hear players yelling!

The league I play for is just about to start up again and this year I have been selected (thanks Mom!) to be our team's captain. The good part about being a captain is that every single other player on our team is a co-captain. So when I screw up horribly, I have someone else to help share the blame.




A set of four table shuffleboard pucks.Image via Wikipedia
So my goal here is to lead my team to victory while trying to remember what happens every Wednesday night so I can tell it here. I have big shoes to fill since last season the Crowe BarFlies finished 3rd. This season we want 1st!

Hi, my name is Amy and I am a Crowe BarFly.

Record:
0-0

Go BarFlies!

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I think I played suffleboard once a long time ago when I was a kid. Don't remember where but I wasn't retired and was not on a ship. I like bowling and miniture golf. Looks like this would be fun but I get mad when I loose.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails