Friday, April 23, 2010

A Winning Streak!

Yes! We did it again! The Crowe BarFlies are now 2-2! We had our "rally rooster" and when we needed a little extra voodoo boost... Aline crowed like a rooster for us! I told her that when we play our away games and we need her to crow, I'm going to call her up on speaker phone!

Stafford Ye "Olde" Puckers were a tough opponent. I figured we'd be going to the seventh game. But we did it in six!

To start off, Lex and I actually got out of work early enough to get some practice in. In our league, all games start at 8pm. The home team has 30 minutes to practice from 7 to 7:30 and the visitors get to practice from 7:30 to 8.

Game 1 - Match Record 0-0
First up we have John and Steve who are both 0, but they played two 0 so there were no handicap points. When this happens, a coin is flipped to determine who goes first. If this happens in the first game of the match the winner of the flip decides if they want color or hammer. The hammer is the last shot of the frame. Most people choose the hammer. This game was a little bumpy, Steve couldn't get the speed down and John started getting into his groove about the 6th frame. We lost this one 9-16.

Game 2 - Match Record 0-1
Next up. Bert and me. We had to give up 1 point and no matter if it's one point or six, it sucks having to give up any points. This game was a see-saw. We'd score 2, they'd score 3. We'd score 3, they'd score 2. It wasn't until about the 7th frame that we decided to turn it up. I scored 4, Bert followed that up with a 3 and I ended it with a 3. Final score 17-11. We've tied the match up!

Game 3 - Match Record 1-1
Dave and Lexie are up for the 3rd game and we get 2 handicap points. Dave and Lex were on like crazy. But so were their opponents. But we held on and won 15-12.

Game 4 - Match Record 2-1
For our fourth game, Margaret (Mom) and Roger are up. Roger tied it up in the first frame with a 1 after giving up one handicap point. Mom started the rally in the 6th frame but it was just a little to late and we lost this game 9-15. All tied up again.

Game 5 - Match Record 2-2
John is up again and so is Lexie. After giving up one handicap point, the scoring flurry started. John with a point, Lex with 2, John with 2, Lex with another 2 - all without the hammer. Elvis started playing on the jukebox so we knew that John would be in the zone. But Lexie was the hero of this game. In the last frame we needed five points to end the match. Lexie had the hammer and already had a point on the board. She threw her puck and it slid all the way to a hanger. A hanger is a puck that hangs off the end of the board and it's worth 4 points. She scored 5!! We won 15-9.

Game 6 - Match Record 3-2
It took us forever to figure out who to put up for this game. Everyone had an idea, which is great because I need all the help I can get. Mom and me. Bert and Mom. John and me. Dave and me. Dave and John. There were a bunch of possibilities. We decided as a team that Dave and I would play. My first game I played on the end that I usually do not play on. That was also the side that Dave played on. In most situations, once I've played on a particular side I don't like to switch to the other side. But we were at our bar. I felt comfortable that I could switch ends and play on my usual end. Dave and I were the right choice. We got 2 handicap points and in the first frame, Dave's opponent scored 4 points. That would be the only points they scored. I scored 4 points next, Dave scored 4 points and in the 4th frame of the game, I scored 5 to end the game 15-4.

We are finally starting to click. I guess the first couple of matches were needed to knock the rust off of us. This match proved that it does take the whole team's input to figure out the best options for winning. It would be fantastic if we could keep this winning streak alive. Our next game is at Woodie's Ice house and they have one of the most trickiest boards in the league. Wish us some good luck!

Quote of the night: "Cock-a-doodle-doooooo!" - Aline

Record:
2-2

Next opponent - Woodie's

Go BarFlies!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails